Sample Response & Employee Statement on Racial Injustice
Many of our clients may be considering how to respond to the current uprising over the death of George Floyd. Here are some suggestions.
- First, it is important not to remain silent. Your employees should know your thoughts and how your beliefs and actions adhere to your corporate values during this time.
- Second, do not over-generalize. Be specific in how this makes you feel and how you want to support your employees.
- Third, be honest about your perspective. Commit to learning about the depth of these issues. Commit yourself to learning more about systemic racism.
- Fourth, take meaningful action. Commit to donate to a worthy cause. Match your employee’s contributions. Give them time off to protest. Encourage them to lend their voices to the need for change.
- Finally, affirm your values and those of your company so that your employees know clearly what you stand for and what you will do to affect change.
We also recommend reading the Harvard Business Review article on this topic: U.S. Businesses Must Take Meaningful Action Against Racism.
The following is a sample employee statement. This is provided as a sample and you are encouraged to personalize it to affirm your own culture and values in this situation.
As always, we are here to help! If you have any questions about establishing policies for your workplace please reach out to Affinity HR Group via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 877-660-6400.